7.01.2013

Grand Canyon Family Shoot {Utah Family Photographer}

So for any of you who are wondering how well the extremely high ISO on the new Canon 5D Mark III works, here's a little review. I recently went on a family vacation to the Grand Canyon. I was going to do some photos of my sister and her kids at the canyon at sunset, but, unfortunately, I forgot that Arizona does not do daylight savings...therefore, the sun sets an hour earlier there. So we got there in time to take pictures just as the sun was setting, but not in time to do an actual shoot. But I figured, while I was there, in the dark, with my new camera, why not try out the 25600 ISO? Well, folks, it worked amazingly. All of these photos were taken after the sun had gone down. It was so dark, that I couldn't see any of their faces as I was shooting. But, as you can see, all of the photos turned out looking like it was daytime. (Mind you, I did have to bring up the exposure maybe about an f-stop in post, and increase the temperature). THE DOWNSIDE: Grain. LOTS of grain. I honestly was pretty astounded at the amount of grain. There was absolutely no point in sharpening the pictures because it just ended up looking ridiculous. I'm not sure if there would ever be a situation when that much grain would be worth being able to take pictures in the dark. BUT. Let's just say, overall, it is pretty amazing that it is possible to take this clear of pictures in the dark.












No comments: